Sand casting (NL: zand gieten) is suitable for smaller to medium series (500 - 1,000 pieces). These products can handle more complex designs due to more possibilities in the field of discharge angles. The sand can be shaken out of the casting. Just like gravity casting, this production technique also works with gravity which reduces the production costs. The mold costs are also cheaper due to the cheaper mold required only for sand casting.
- Better design possibilities due to better design rules.
- Low start-up costs for small to medium production series.
- Castings are suitable for heat treatments.
- Minimum wall thicknesses are 6mm, smaller thickness is not recommended.
- The process takes more time than injection molding and scallop casting. Smaller runs are cheaper, though.
- Relatively coarse surface texture. However, this can be remedied with proper post-processing.